I exercised every day of my pregnancy and followed an organic diet and only increased my calories by 300-400 a day. I had an easy uneventful pregnancy. I debated on having a home birth but my husband did not feel comfortable with that and we ultimately decided to go with an old school solo OB with 35 years of experience after changing from a large OB practice with a high c-section rate.
On Monday April 25th at my 41 week appointment-I was 0 dilated and 60% effaced. The Dr. was comfortable with me going to 43 weeks as long as a weekly NST was fine and it was at the 41 week appointment. I went into labor around 4 am on Friday, April 29th but it was all back labor-actually it was all my tailbone and lower back and my hips kept locking up making it hard to move. They were about 10 mins apart and almost exactly 1 minute in length. My husband goes to work at 6am so I sent him to work thinking I would have a long day ahead of me and wanted to be alone to labor as long as possible. I started walking and squatting and bouncing on the ball-reading online trying to find something to get them closer together. They eventually got to 7 minutes apart around 9am.
So I called my husband and had him come home. As soon as he came home, they started spacing out to 17 or 18 minutes apart. I was drinking water and Gatorade and carb loading to keep up my strength. At 7pm-suddenly the contractions started getting longer and closer together (3 to 4 mins long and about 2 minutes apart. I was having a hard time focusing. I was shaking and throwing up.
I got worried that I might be in transition. My husband was wonderful, rubbing my back through each contraction and holding my hair while I vomited. At 8 pm, we called the dr. He had wanted me to wait until they were 5 mins apart for 2 hours straight but I felt like I was suddenly moving too fast. When I explained to him what was happening-he wanted me to get to the hospital as soon as possible. We managed to make it to the hospital and get checked in at 9 pm. The nurse hooked me up to a monitor for 20 minutes before she even checked me-that was the worst part-having contractions while sitting there unable to move into another position to help me through them. The nurse checked me and I was barely 1 cm and 60% effaced. I about lost it. She went to call my Dr. and then disappeared while I’m still sitting on the monitor.
She came back 30 minutes later and told me he wanted me to walk around the hospital for 2 hours and come back. So at 10pm we started walking. Every few minutes I would feel a contraction coming on and I would get in different positions with my husband helping me through them. I felt so much pressure to make some progress and I was getting physically exhausted.
At midnight we went back and she checked me-I was still barely 1cm. The nurse said I could do 2 things-I could go home and deal with them on my own or be admitted and given something to help me sleep and consider being induced in the morning if I hadn’t made any progress. I chose option 2 because I was so exhausted. I was admitted and given a room. They gave me a shot of nubain and I went to sleep. At 4am a nurse came in and woke me up to check me-she says “wow-you are 5 cm, 100% effaced and oops I broke your water.” She then checked the water and there was meconium in it.
She said that I moving fast-several people came into the room and began setting it up for delivery and for the nicu team. She checked me again at 5am and I was unchanged. She checked me again at 6am and still I was unchanged. All while being in enormous pain and contracting every few minutes. They offered me an epidural and said they wanted to start pitocin-I agreed thinking that if I was relaxed enough on the nubain to dilate so quickly then this should help. So I got the epidural (somehow within a few minutes) and the pitocin was started. They began moving me in various positions to try to speed things along. There was a nurse switch at 7am. My Dr. came in at 9:30 to check me-he said I was 4 cm and 80% effaced. I was going backwards-all while the pitocin was supposed to be speeding up the contractions. My dr. looked concerned. He said something isn’t right. And that he need to see progress within 2 hours or we need to consider a c-section. I started bawling and begging them to take out the epidural so I could walk. I begged my husband to take me home so I could labor at home. I started immediately having a severe anxiety attack and remember feeling extremely claustrophobic. The nurse promised me she would do everything in her power to ensure that I avoid a c-section. My husband was great through it all at getting me to focus and calm down and remind me that I had 2 hours. He went and talked to the Dr. and reminded him of our goals.
As the 2 hours passed, I focused on relaxing, getting turned, all while the pitocin was still being cranked but then my contractions were spacing apart rather than getting closer together. At 11:30 the Dr. came back and I was still 4cm. I lost it again. He said that the baby wasn’t engaged and made me feel my pelvis-he said that the baby was floating and this was why I wasn’t dilating and there was something seriously abnormal about my labor pattern. He wanted to do a c-section right then. I begged him for 2 more hours. He said he couldn’t do it. This could go on for days and since my water broke he wanted to do the c-section now. He spent an hour negotiating with my husband and I. He was ready to walk out and hand me over to the residents. At that point, I said fine do the c-section BUT you must do it now, I’m not sitting around for several hours waiting for a room to come open. They immediately started wheeling me down to the OR.
I was okay but as soon as my husband left to get changed, I started hyperventilating. I felt like a failure and that something was wrong with me. I started regretting not going home at midnight and toughing it out at home. I regretted the epidural. I was pis*ed that the nurse accidentally broke my water. They were ready to knock me out because I was so upset but they said my husband couldn’t come in. The nurses were trying to calm me down and asked me what names we had chosen. I told her and I managed to get it together once my husband came in to the surgery and they started the c-section. When they pulled my baby out (he came out screaming) the nurse said “it’s a Sebastian”. I had wanted my husband to be able to say it’s a boy or it’s a girl but that can’t be changed either.
My son weighed 9 lbs 6 oz and 21 ¾ inches long.
I heard the Dr. say he was shocked at how big he was because I was not carrying big and had not gained much weight during the pregnancy. He passed him off to the NICU team. I didn’t get to see him but my husband went over to take pictures. Dr. immediately started telling me that I would have never had the baby on my own and that I made the right choice. He said that there was no way that I could have even passed a 6 lb baby through because my tailbone jutted in too far and made my pelvis almost impassable. He claimed that during each contraction, the baby was hitting my tailbone and if I had continued to labor I would have caused my child to have brain damage. He said it would be dangerous to ever try a VBAC.
I feel like I should trust my dr. but part of me wants to get an x-ray to confirm what he’s saying about my tailbone just for my own peace of mind if that makes sense. Has anyone ever heard of someone’s tailbone blocking the baby? Or of their cervix closing back up? Especially with pitocin.