Looking for something? Start here.
Custom Search




« Human Rights in Childbirth Conference | Childbirth Simulators Mobilize »

"Find a doctor that will support you"


This comment was left on the Facebook page last night. Congratulations, Monica, on seeking out a doctor that favors shared decision-making. Feel free to give Dr. Tsinker a hearty high-five on my behalf at your six week appointment.

Just wanted to share some happy news: even living in a city where my local hospital has a 71% csection rate (Miami) and NO local doctors that would allow me to VBAC I found one shining star over an hours drive away. Dr. Tsinker from Plantation, FL believed in me and let me attempt a VBAC. His faith in me and my perseverance paid off. I gave natural birth to my daughter Alyssa 10 days ago! 8 pounds and 4 ounces of blonde blue eyed yumminess and no epidural! Ladies you can do it too, find a doctor that will support you. They are out there, even if you have to drive hours away from home, it’s worth it. 10 days later and I feel great!!!





Any gems in your region that everyone should know about?






PrintView Printer Friendly Version

EmailEmail Article to Friend

Reader Comments (5)

There are other docs that VBAC here in South Florida, too. Not many, but some.

May 23, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterDana

This family medicine doc in Kentucky-- http://evidencebasedbirth.com/2012/05/09/reflections-on-my-role-as-a-birth-lifeguard/. Email me at evidencebasedbirth@gmail.com if you want her name and number. :)

May 23, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterRebecca

"Wooooow! A little of my faith in doctors has just been restored! I almost cried reading his bio.

May 23, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterErin

That website made my sleepless postpartum self want to cry. Lucky FL ladies!

May 23, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterVanessa

Dr. Ranjiv Rangrass with Borgess Womens Health in Kalamazoo, MI, supported my choices and attended the vaginal birth of my monozygotic twins, including Baby B who was born double footling breech. The babies also shared a placenta and baby B was showing signs of growth restriction (he was actually smaller than we realized -- late term ultraounds can be wrong in either direction), but I was not advised to induce until 38 weeks. At that point Dr. R felt that the babies would be ready and his comfort level was to induce at that point (my cervix was favorable). I had NOT wanted to be induced and was very anxious about it, but I was also physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted so I agreed. But then Dr. R called me the night before the scheduled induction to share the results of my ultrasound/BPP/NST from the previous day and said I could push the induction to the following week if I wished, since the babies looked great on the test and there was no true medical indication that they needed to be born the next day He gave me his pager number and said he would do his best to meet me at the hospital when I went into labor. Four days later my water broke and my babies were born 3 hours later. I called Dr. R on the way to the hospital and he met me there, even though he was not on call. I was at the hospital less than an hour before my babies were born, leaving no time for an epidural (which he wanted me to have to facilitate the breech delivery) and creating a lot of chaos. Yet Dr. R remained extremely calm -- I could not have asked for a more skilled OB in that situation.

I should note, all of this was after I was planning a homebirth up until 27 weeks when I had an ultrasound due to measuring 4cm ahead of my dates and discovered the twins. Yet I was treated with respect by the staff at BWH including Dr. Robert Winter, another excellent physician whom I saw for my first several appointments until he went on vacation for the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy. Ultimately Dr. R was the right person to attend my sons' births since he has extensive experience in vaginal breech births, and he is also a very caring and respectful physician.

May 23, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterRebecca M.
Comments for this entry have been disabled. Additional comments may not be added to this entry at this time.